There are two types of email senders for pushing outbound email notifications.
- Local Email SMTP
- HTTP-based Email API
- Email SMTP
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) is a simple mechanism to relay (send/receive) emails from/to your mail server. Traditionally, the one-off emails that we send from our mailbox to another are powered by SMTP.
Web-based Email API
A web-based Email API is a mechanism to exchange emails via HTTP.
Use the following table as a reference to decide when to choose between SMTP and Email API:
|The brand’s own SMTP can be used for sending transactional, support, workflow-driven, or one-off emails.||This mechanism can be chosen when the use case is to send bulk emails for promotional goals.|
|Not recommended for sending bulk, promotional email campaigns.||This method will come with engagement metrics such as open rate and click rate.|
The yellow.ai platform must be granted permission to send emails on behalf of the email ID used to send emails. You can either do it by configuring the SMTP of the brand’s professional sender email ID or by adding the web-based email API key to the platform. Upon successful configuration, the platform can send emails from the associated Email ID.
This setup allows our platform to send emails on behalf of the email domain.
To configure SMTP server in the yellow.ai platform, follow the below steps:
Open your project and navigate to > Channels > Email.
Click Add account
For SMTP setup, add the SMTP details of the email address from, which you want to send emails.
In Email details, select Basic to add details manually. Alternatively, you can also select Advanced and paste the SMTP as JSON.
In Configuration objective, select the purpose of the current email account - Campaigns and/or support ticketing.
In Email, enter the email address (sender ID) that you want to associate with the account. For example, [email protected].
In Server, enter the host URL.
The value will be unique for each mail server. For example, it will be smtp.gmail.com for the Gmail server and smtp.office365.com for the Outlook server. In some cases, like a private server, the value will be the IP address of the SMTP connector service.
In Username, enter the same email address that you entered in the Email field. For shared accounts such as Microsoft, these could be different.
- Some email servers like Gmail offers safer alternatives to expose the password. You can generate it and provide it in SMTP configuration.
- Your company's IT team will be able to assist you in obtaining the exact SMTP details.
- In Port, choose the desired port value where you want to establish the SMTP connection. It can be 465, 587, or 25.
- In Security type, choose the appropriate security type - SSL or TLS.
- Click Save.
Similarly, you can add multiple email accounts and choose your preferred sender ID when configuring an outbound campaign.
You can also configure SMTP using the JSON code.
To configure an SMTP using JSON, follow the given steps:
Open your project and navigate to Channels > Email.
Click Add account
For SMTP setup, add the SMTP details of the email address from which you want to send emails.
- In Email details, select Advanced
- Paste the JSON code of the SMTP.
If the client’s email service provider has disabled auth, then you can remove auth object.
- To send mail on behalf of the client, the client should enable SMTP authentication.
- In cases where clients have disabled SMTP auth for security reasons, they can whitelist ym’s IP and allow emails from that IP.
- For Ym to receive emails from the customers of the client, the client needs to configure a unique forwarding address provided by ym after configuring an email on the Channels page.
To get Outlook SMTP, follow these steps in Outlook:
- Navigate to the File menu.
- Click Info. Go to the Account Settings page.
- On the yellow.ai platform, look for the email address that you want to configure.
- Look out for the Outgoing server field.
- You will find the SMTP that you want.
For emails to be sent from smtp.gmail.com, make sure you have followed these 2 steps:
Enable 2-Step Verification in your Google account.
a. Click Select app and choose Other (custom name) from the dropdown.
b. Click Generate.
c. You will receive a 16-digit code, this code should be used as a password in email configuration, and the user remains as your email.
Reach out to the yellow.ai team for setting up an email account. The process will cover domain/subdomain authentication, and dedicated IP address procurement, among others.